Latest Entries »

This will be a very, very short post. I found out there is a few things in my google code page I don’t have a “blahg” entry for, my old ClickButton library for the Arduino is one of them.

Basically, I was annoyed by some of my formerly named variables and some minor stuff (hello, OCD?). That, and also someone asked a question about it so I took another look at it. Above all it is untested, for now, so feel free to report back any problems. Or go back to the previous version.

It still just copes with one button, but I included a simple example using an array of ClickButton objects for more buttons.

It features basically two types of button clicks; short and long clicks, and can test for click-and-hold. Button logic does not matter (active low or active high buttons).

I removed the maxPresses (max click count) limit, it seemed unnecessary.

Until next time,
raron

RL-DAC

Finally updated RL-DAC after a while.

Although completely useless because of it’s very narrow use. Consider yourself warned :P Still, if fiddling with resistor ladder DAC’s your thing (it’s actually not mine), I suppose it might be of some limited use. Beware it also can be somewhat quirky, and it does take a few seconds to start from within the Processing environment (I use processing 1.5.1 running on a dual-core AMD64x2, 2.5 GHz thing with 4 GB RAM, that about covers it I think).

A screenshot:
Simple, Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire View full article »

First, a little disclaimer:

I’m by no means an expert on this subject. But I do hold a little interest in electronics (and programming. And procrastination. Sometimes I combine those :P).

Btw, It’s been a while since last time I blogged. I probably will edit this post a bit in the following days. Also, I finally made BloGTK 2.0 work in 64-bit Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

Resistor E-series

(Screenshot from my little test program – Ok I’ll admit I’m no GUI expert :P)

Resistors come in fixed “preferred values” determined by what “E-series” they belong to. Which says how many resistors there are in a decade (1 to 10, 10 to 100, 100 to 1000 etc ohms).

The E series are standardized to have 3, 6, 12, 24, 48, 96 or 192 values pr. decade. E.g. E24 have 24 values. Generally the value is determined by a simple formula:

Ri = 10^(i/Eseries)

Where:

  • Ri = A “preferred value” resistance normalized to 1.00 – 9.99 ohm for the i’th index resistor in a given E series. Multiply or divide by factors of 10 for a given decade.
  • Eseries = is the E-series value: 3, 6, 12, 24, 48, 96 or 192
  • i = is the (zero-based) i’th index, up to Eseries-1 (2, 5, 11, 23 etc).

E.G. The last index in E24 is 23. The first is zero (always).
E series below and including E24 the is rounded to two significant digits.
Above E24 is rounded to three significant digits.

View full article »

This is a post describing how to set up the KiCad share folders in such a way as to be able to easily transfer projects (and their custom library parts) between installs on windows and linux. View full article »

Introduction:

Once again, a thread from the Arduino forum, this time the 2-cent DAC thread from forum user “raalst” inspired me to follow up on a thought I got – to utilize the high-Z state of the digital outputs for an increased resolution of a resistor ladder / network type DAC.

. View full article »

Morse endecoder

Morse EnDecoder

.

About:

This is just a little writeup about a Morse code encoder and decoder I made for the Arduino platform. I spotted someone asking for one at the Arduino forum in november 2010, even offering a reward, but alas I was too late for that. No matter, for reasons unknown to me (I’m actually not that into Morse) this is one of many small projects I have been meaning to get around to, but lacking impetus I hadn’t yet done (as with many others). And besides, I would’nt really sell “my” morse decoder anyway. So I gave it away :)

Here is the project page on google code, with description of how to use it in your own programs: http://code.google.com/p/morse-endecoder/

What follows is basically just a little explanation as to how it works. View full article »

Just an extremely minor update about the Cubeduino.
View full article »

Even though I’ve been using KiCad on and off for a year now, I haven’t really made a lot of my own custom components. Basically the built-in have more or less sufficed, and if not there are literally thousands more custom made by other users.

Anyway, here they are, a very few ones. I also try to get the 3D shapes right for these using Wings 3D.
View full article »

Acrylic casing!

Acrylic casing!

.

Time for a little update regarding my build of the “cubeduino”. I finally got a nice acrylic casing on it.
View full article »

Cubeduino

First, I haven’t really blogged before, so this blog is also (hopefully) a work in progress. It will probably look really bad. For starters I have no idea why it is so narrow! Sorry about that!

Also, I absolutely wanted an offline editor on my Linux box for the blog. For the moment that is Bleezer (link at bottom). Doesn’t seem to be supported anymore, but that’s the one I got working-ish. The point about this is that every time I update this blog, the comments disappears… sorry about that too. And I will try not to update it via Bleezer if and when comments appear (Sorry to my brother who has supplied me with a couple of nice comments already!).

.

INTRODUCTION

This is about an electronic Rubik’s cube like display thing I’ve made. Except it’s not completely finished yet, but for now I do have a working Rubik’s Revenge (as the Rubik’s cube 4 x 4 x 4 is called) on it. It is based on the Arduino platform using an Atmega 328 microcontroller, lots of RGB LEDs and shiftregisters. I have dabbled a little in electronics and programming from time to time throughout the years, but very periodically.
View full article »

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.