Acrylic casing!

.

Time for a little update regarding my build of the “cubeduino”. I finally got a nice acrylic casing on it.

Also, I now have improved all files regarding it. Plus, I’m glad to say, I finally have a generic method of adding the kicad electronics EDA project files! So no more manually re-adding libraries and such after moving or copying the kicad projects to another computer. Well, hopefully that is. Details at the bottom of this post

I have also cleaned up and updated the schematics a bit.

.

BTW: For fun I made a time-lapse-video of me re-assembling the cube, on youtube:

youtube link

.

.

Acrylic casing – finally!

.

A big thanks must go to “mowcius” at the arduino forum, who runs http://www.duinoaday.co.uk/

He made me an offer to make an acrylic casing for the cube. After some emailing back and forth, he eventually had to transfer my design to SolidWorks himself (something about file formats I didn’t quite get right me thinks). He even suggested using rounded corners for the button’s holes! I didn’t even think of that. He did a really nice job done with that laser cutter of his, and price was not bad either!

Of course, I didn’t just want a normal square for a casing, I wanted one loosely based on another 3D puzzle I got:

(its harder than it looks!)

Except I wanted the sides to be as similar to each other as possible. However, 2 of the sides had to be a little different anyway, to fill in a gap at opposite diagonal corners. Plus I needed a couple of extra holes for the on/off-button and the wires.

I want to mention that the reason for interlocking the sides like this, is because I think it is more sturdy (as an added plus, it looks cooler too imho 🙂 )

Btw all construction details is in the files downloadable at the end of this page. Since my imagination is so bad, I simply called the sides type-1, type-2 and (yeah) type-3 😛 Only type-2 and -3 are unique, type-1 is the more generic one in which there are four of.

Out of curiosity, or is it impatience, I just had to assemble it to see how it looked (even though mowcius sent me a similar picture before I got it in the mail):

.

.

Taking it apart

.

First order of business was to get rid of the “thermal insulation-tape” method first used to cover the edges. Which also included the hot-melt-glued “grill-sticks” underneath the keypad PCB’s.

The hot-melt glue was stickier than I thought. A pocket knife fixed that easily though.

Then the Sparkfun 4×4 button base needed 4 extra holes each. I settled on 5mm diameter, for a little extra leeway. Drilling in this rubber silicon proved a bad idea. Luckily I found some other tools to hammer the holes in them.

Then, finally I had all the parts separated and ready for re-assembly.

.

.

Putting it all together – again

.

I don’t go into great details here. A few quick photos will have to do for now. Plus the aforementioned timelapse video.

Suffice to say it was quite fiddly, as is perhaps evident from that video 😛

The only difference for now, sans the acrylic casing, is that I have not included batteries – yet. I figured I should use rechargeable batteries, and as those have 1.2 volt each, that I should use four and not three batteries. So there is still some minor things to do left. I hope there are room for that. If not, it’s no biggie.

Also, from another nice suggestion from mowcius, I should use dome nuts. I will probably also paint those white, in due time.

.

.

Some color tests

.

Here I’m using 2 PWM levels (that is, no PWM at all, either fully on or off), in an “RGB cube” mode (each XYZ axis get their own color gradient along the axis):

.

Here it is “upside down”, at least electronically:

.

Here I’m using 4 PWM levels:

.

.

Red:

.

Green:

.

Blue:

.

Yellow:

.

Cyan:

.

Purple:

.

White:

Or, should I say white-ish? 😛

.

.

.

Updated schematics

.

Well, no big faults with the old schematics I must say, but these are somewhat more consistent and cleaned up. I hope.

The mainboard (“Cubeduino Core”):

Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire

.

The keypad interface board (SIPOPISO):

Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire

.

And the keypad:

Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire

.

.

.

Downloads

.

This file contain both the schematics above and images of the PCBs with silkscreens for component placements:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/tvg74k3cztxm6tp/cubeduino-schematics-PCBs.tar.gz

.

This file contain the mechanical details for the wooden core and the acrylic sides. Somewhat lacking in describing how to put it together, except for a wings3D model (now I’m no modeller, but I like to play with it some times. My POV-Ray results are really bad though). Plus the pictures in this blog’s first entry from may 2010 should be of help if needed.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/pq2g2dbjbw8eaiz/cubeduino-physical-drawings.tar.gz

.

The firmware (software) is unchanged for now:

Cubeduino Rubik’s Revenge source code

Cubeduino Color test code

.

And finally the updated kicad files:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/1l169437cxrk5ic/kicad-cubeduino.tar.gz

NOTE: You will have to use the symbolic link method described above to use the kicad files without the hassle of re-adding the libraries in the preferences.

.

.

© 2009 – 2010 Ragnar Aronsen

Hardware licenced under the Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

Software is under the GNU GPL v3 licence: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

Powered by Bleezer

Advertisements